The Chinese government closed ranks with Cuba and reiterated its political support for the island on 11 February in the face of renewed sanctions and economic, commercial, and financial blockade by the United States.
During a press conference, Foreign Ministry spokesman Lin Jian reaffirmed Beijing's firm opposition to “inhumane actions that deprive the Cuban people of their right to subsistence and development.”
“I would like to emphasize once again that China firmly supports Cuba in safeguarding its national sovereignty and security and in opposing external interference,” he said.
It should be recalled that on January 29, U.S. President Donald Trump issued an order declaring a national emergency due to an alleged Cuban “threat” to national security and authorizing the imposition of tariffs on imports from countries that sell or supply oil to the island.
Havana strongly denounced that, with this so-called “energy blockade,” the Republican tycoon's administration seeks to suffocate the Caribbean nation's economy and make the living conditions of its people intolerable.
In response, China has urged the U.S. government to “immediately end the blockade, sanctions, and any form of coercive measures against Cuba.”
Washington has maintained an economic, commercial, and financial blockade against Cuba since 1962. According to Havana, the primary objective of this policy is to generate discontent among the Cuban population and provoke a social crisis that will ultimately lead to a change of government on the island.
During the press conference, the diplomat was asked about the alleged existence of Chinese citizens stranded in Cuba as a result of the suspension of flights to the island by some international airlines. However, he indicated that he had not “received any reports” on the matter.
Regarding possible fuel shipments or financial support from the Asian giant, Lin indicated that any type of cooperation must be dealt with “through bilateral channels” and consulted with “the competent authorities.”
However, he made it clear that China “will provide support and assistance to Cuba within its capabilities.”
It should be noted that following the intensification of coercive measures imposed by the Trump administration that limit Cuba's ability to acquire oil, Beijing expressed its rejection of such measures that affect the sovereign development of the Caribbean island.
In recent weeks, the Asian nation announced the shipment of 90,000 tons of rice to Cuba and the establishment of an emergency financial assistance line for $80 million.
This amount is in addition to the $100 million in aid it granted in 2024, according to TeleSUR.
Support has also been expressed at the diplomatic level. Last week, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi reaffirmed “Beijing's resolute opposition to the unjust interference of external forces in Cuba's affairs.”
“We stand united with Cuba to continue consolidating and developing our friendly relations,” he said during a meeting with Cuban Foreign Minister and Special Envoy Bruno Rodríguez.
“We attach great importance and take very seriously the legitimate aspirations of our Cuban friends. We stand united with Cuba to continue consolidating and developing our friendly relations,” Wang Yi said.
Leonardo Buitrago is a journalist specializing in international politics and economics. UCAB.
